Spis castle is dominant part of Spis region in the north-east part of Slovakia. It is one of the largest ruins areas in Middle Europe. Spis castle ruins are part of UNESCO heritage since 1993 together with surrounding attractions.
The castle was built in 12th century already.
At the beginning was the Spis castle used as a boundary fortification point. Later on it has been used as a Seat of Spis region. The castle has been significantly rebuilt in 15th century during the mastery of Stefan Zapolsky. The castle burned in 1780 and since than it decoyed up to the 1970.
Nowadays you can find on the castle museums related to castle history, medieval weapons and live in those times.
Parts of UNESCO world heritage are also Levoca city, Spisske podhradie village with Spisska Kapitula (The Spis Chapter), Church in Zehra village.
December to February CLOSED
May-September OPEN DAILY 09:00 to 18:00 (April, October 09:00 to 16:00, November 10:00 to 15:00)
€ 6 adults
€ 4 students (19-26 years), pensioners
€ 3 children 6-18 years, Handicapped
More detailed information are here.